Thursday, August 29, 2013

Busy Day!

I had a busy day today!  First I woke up and had breakfast with my host mom.  We were talking about speaking German, and she said that I am the best student that she's had in terms of being able to speak the language.  (and before you ask, no, I'm not her first student ;) - she's had quite a few).  That made me feel a bit more confident about my speaking!

Today at IES we learned about safety and how to live with a host family...it was pretty boring! But then Tyler, another girl, and I went out to lunch near Hackescher Markt - we went to an Asian place.  They had sushi, and I had GREAT pad thai! That's one of the reasons I love Berlin - there are just so many different cuisines!

After we were done at IES for the day, I walked back home.  Before going home though, I visited my host mom's candle shop.  It's very cute, and she was very happy that I came to visit!  Then I went shopping at the (small) grocery store that's in my building.  I didn't buy much, since my host mom insists that I eat whatever they have in the house!

After that I went to the market at Hackescher Markt! I love the markets in Berlin - there are so many stands and everything is really affordable!  I bought a key chain and a nice scarf! :) After that I met Tyler at the Berliner Dom.  I saw it from the outside when I was here last year, but we didn't go inside.  Usually I'm not too keen on churches, but this one is by far the most astounding church I've ever been in! It's HUGE!  I can't believe how much detail is in the ceiling and really, the whole church.  It's amazing - and something that I can't believe would ever be built today, just because it would take too much work!  I'm glad we decided to go inside, and it was totally worth the 4 Euro to get in!


We ended up climbing to the top as well, which was exhausting, but SO worth it!

My host parents are very busy with work, so they don't end up getting home/eating dinner until at least 8pm most nights.  So they ate dinner really late and invited me to eat with them, which was very nice!

I'd better go to bed...I have to take my German placement test tomorrow to see what German class I'll be in for the next three weeks! (after the three weeks, I have to take another placement test!)

~StephanieAnn

No comments:

Post a Comment