Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Orientation and Meeting Host Family!

Unbelievably, I was able to stay up until 11pm (ish) last night, which really helped defeat most of my jet lag!  It's 9pm here right now, and I'm not even tired - which is really good!

So we woke up this morning, got ready, and headed over to the IES center.  They gave us a quick tour and had some sandwiches set out, and then we met some of the other people on the program.  (There are actually a lot more people on the IES program than I thought there were going to be!).  After sitting around and chatting for a bit, we had a mini orientation and got a welcome packet and a little more information about our host families.

Then, we went to go take biometrisch (biometrical) photos for our residency permits and then to go buy train tickets for our first month. After that, we just had to sit around and wait for our families to turn up!

My host parents seem pretty nice.  I only briefly met the man (Norbert), but the woman (Eve-Marie) showed me around and seems very warm-hearted.  Neither of them speak ANY English, though, so that might be a struggle in the beginning, but hopefully it will improve my German!  She owns a candle shop just down the street, so after she gave me the tour, she had to leave.  I ate a little bit and unpacked a lot! I didn't really feel like walking around because I had had kind of a busy day and just wanted to relax a little!  So I read a little bit of my book and resisted the urge to fall asleep!

Tomorrow we don't have to be at the IES center until 11, so I'm going to wake up early and explore the area that I live around - here's hoping I don't get lost!

-StephanieAnn


No comments:

Post a Comment