Monday, August 26, 2013

I have arrived!

So I've arrived safely in Berlin.  My plane out of Chicago was delayed by 40 minutes, and since I only had a 50 minute layover to catch my plane from Munich to Berlin, I was quite worried!  

The flight itself was pretty boring...it was a bit bumpy, but that didn't bother me!  I was able to sleep for probably 3 or 4 hours which is good.  I'm still pretty exhausted, though.  But anyways, my plane landed in Munich and I literally sprinted to my gate.  It didn't help that our arrival gate was on the opposite side of the terminal from my departure gate.  So I was literally running down those moving walkways passing everyone.  (I'm not kidding you, I did what is easily a 20 minute walk in about 10 minutes).  I could see the gate just as they were saying "Last call for Lufthansa flight to Berlin" so I sprinted the last 50 yards or so and made it just on time! I was the last person on the plane. 

Ayse (A German exchange student that was at Lawrence last year) and my friend Tyler, who's on the IES program as well, picked me up from the airport. I was pretty convinced that my suitcase wasn't going to make it since it had about a 15 minute window to get from my plane to the new one, but it did!  So then Ayse, Tyler, and I took the U-Bahn to her apartment in Neukölln (I had to drag all my stuff up 5 flights of stairs! Ayse and Tyler helped a lot). I took a shower (much needed after my sprint through Munich!) and then we went to grab some food (I had a Döner - picture included), then we went grocery shopping and now we're back at her apartment.

My first meal in Berlin! Funnily enough, it's not even "German", it's Turkish!


Tomorrow we'll go to IES for orientation and then we'll meet our host families!

No comments:

Post a Comment